Sunday, January 8, 2012

How the Mister Got His Name


With a super cool name like Rockhudson, why would my dog need a nickname like the Feisty Mister?
Although he’s a very good boy these days, our first few weeks together were challenging - especially during walks. The Mister feels that our walks should be private time for Mon and Mister. Following is a transcript of an average walk with the Mister in the early days. Enjoy.

"Is Chihuahua?” asks the grizzled gentleman whose ankle Rockhudson is eyeing with evil purpose. "Yeah, he's a Chihuahua," I say flatly. "Aye Chihuahua! Ha. Ha. Ha." He actually makes the 'ha ha' sounds when he laughs and I respond in kind, "Yeah, ha, ha." Rockhudson is no more a fan of trite than I am and suddenly transforms into a snarling frenzy, trying to get at the offending ankle belonging to the offensive man. "Ha, ha. He like me." "Right." “Have a nice day," I add grudgingly as I pull the dog in the opposite direction, hoping to finish our walk in peace. Unfortunately, it's frying pan to fire, as a morning jogger crosses our path. Rockhudson firmly believes that all humans should move at a moderate pace, so he lunges at the unsuspecting jogger who stumbles to the side as I chuckle apologetically and mumble, "Sorry, he's not a big fan of exercise," or something equally lame.

As we approach the corner of Sheridan and Thorndale, a CTA bus passes us in one direction, while a motorcycle approaches from the other, in violation of yet another firmly held Chihuahua conviction that people should not travel on anything with wheels. As he rages at my feet, I feel like I am flying a kite on the ground, the winds of Rockhudson's doggy neuroses pulling me this way and that.
We are almost home when Rockhudson discovers an amorphous stain on the sidewalk. He throws himself to the ground, rubbing his body over the stain in the throes of doggy ecstasy. I glance up to find a family of three walking toward us, laughing and speaking words I cannot understand. I can only nod and chuckle sheepishly, sidling off the sidewalk like a silent movie clown, dragging my undulating bundle of fur behind me. Finally, we reach the front door of our building and go inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment