Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Lone Wolf


If you think that the Mister is any less feisty with those of his own kind – think again.

I live in a dog-heavy, dog-friendly neighborhood. This makes for some interesting times when I’m out with the Mister. You know how they say that people start to look like their pets? Well, I have a pet that acts like his human.

I could happily be a hermit, if I could find a cave with hardwood floors and good Thai take-out nearby. And fair trade coffee within walking distance. Okay, I could never really be a hermit, but still I could do without being a neighbor. I don't mind having neighbors, as long as they don't go all Mr. Rogers on me, "Will you be my neighbor? Won't you be my neighbor?" No! Now, I have a dog who is as anti-social as I am.

This is how the Mister deals with his own kind.

Just ahead of us are two golden retrievers.

Rockhudson is an enthusiastic p-logger, but shares my aversion to fraternization with his own kind. The Retrievers are too large to navigate around, so I scoop up my little bundle of joy. The owner of the Goldens says, "It's okay, they're good dogs." "Well, he's not."

This scene is re-enacted several times over the course of our thirty minute walk. Charlie and Abby the Cocker Spaniels next door, Don Juan the Shih Tzu, and Tank the French Bulldog are all the recipients of stern warnings to mind their own business by my snarling darling.

I’d love to say that the Mister has overcome his lone wolf act in the time that I’ve had him, but this is still a daily challenge. Still, I’d rather have the Feisty Mister than no Mister at all.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks fur stopping by my khorner!

    Woo will find blogging is KHWITE addikhting

    AND filled with some of the nicest animals in the world - some are even human!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra
    PeeEssWoo: Mom understands some of the lone-ness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, your so cute in this shot, it looks that your doing great with your Family and that was very nice :)



    --------------------------------
    It's all About Pet Fences | Dog Fence

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the best ways to work through this is to go on organised walks in a group. I go with my trainer's walking group as often as we can. The difference in Penny's social skills is amazing when we are walking about once a week with a pack.

    Penny doesn't bother fraternising with the other dogs on the actual walk, just heads off straining at the lead to make sure she's in front, if we're on-lead - because she's convinced she's some sort of honarary human and the leader of any pack. But I find she's much less inclined to get annoyed by passing dogs around our own area if she's been on a recent walk with the group.

    Two Pitties is very big into this aspect of dog behaviour and has started a group in Chicago. Here's one of her posts about it.
    http://pittiesincity.blogspot.com/2012/01/sociabulls-morning-walk-with-chicago.html

    ReplyDelete