Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Flying Mister


I started flying with the Mister about two years ago. Here he is happily post-flight with my Grandpa Durham.

What an ordeal that first trip was. Holiday travel is hard on anyone, and it was especially hard on a little guy who had to stay in his carrier for hours.

By the way – parents – your running, yelling children don’t just annoy people. They traumatized my baby, and the airline agent was not very nice to us.

People always have questions when I tell them that I fly with my dog. I’m no expert, but here’s what I’ve learned.

I fly Southwest (despite their occasional bad judgment when it comes to customer service) because of the still-free baggage. So, that is where my little bit of know-how comes from.

Here is a link to Southwest's pet policies.

www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/pets/index-pol.html

¨ It costs $75.00 each way for your pet’s ticket Occasionally, his ticket costs more than mine

¨ You cannot buy your pet’s ticket online. You have to go to the ticket counter, so allow for that extra time.

¨ You don’t have to send your baby through the x-ray conveyor. (seriously, why do people ask that question?) You take them out of their carrier and carry them through them with you.

¨ They have to ride under the seat in front of you. It’s hard sometimes, but those are the rules.

¨ DO NOT GIVE YOUR DOG SEDATIVES! You could be compromising their health, especially with cabin pressure changes.

¨ Make sure that they do their business before you get in the line for ticketed passengers. Unfortunately, most airports were designed pre-9/11. No green spaces for our canine loved ones. It’s a pain to take them back out. Plan ahead.

That’s all for now. Happy traveling.



No comments:

Post a Comment